30% of the world's population suffers from iron deficiency anemia. It’s a serious health problem that requires a serious solution. For many people, adding more iron to their diet isn’t enough. That’s where iron supplements come in.
Iron supplements are an effective and convenient way to reduce your risk of iron deficiency anemia and improve your overall health. But consistency is key for any supplement, especially iron. If you struggle to stay on a supplement schedule, here’s why consistency is so vital to increase iron levels—plus our top tips for getting the most out of your iron supplement.
Why is it important to be consistent with supplements?
The benefits of supplements can feel like magic—but the magic doesn’t happen overnight. Consistency is necessary for experiencing the full effects of supplemental vitamins and nutrients. It takes time for nutrients to build up in the body and make a difference in your health.
“So, can’t I just double up my dosage?” Not so much. Your body actually absorbs nutrients better in smaller, more consistent amounts. Taking a bigger dose will cause the excess nutrients to leave the body without being absorbed. It could also cause potential harm, depending on the supplement.
Why is consistency especially important with iron supplements?
Iron is a crucial mineral that transports oxygen throughout your body. Low iron can cause many parts of your body—muscle strength, brain function, and beyond—to stop working properly and ultimately cause iron deficiency anemia.
Staying consistent with your iron intake will help you maintain the necessary flow of oxygen and avoid symptoms of iron deficiency, such as:
- Extreme fatigue or weakness
- Headaches or dizziness
- Pale or yellow skin
- Shortness of breath or chest pain
- Rapid heartbeat
- Brittle nails or hair loss
- Cold hands or feet
How often should you take your iron supplements and when will you see results?
Every iron supplement is different, so it’s important to read the instructions carefully.
For Ferosom Forte, take one sachet or capsule per day. Some people experience benefits within the first 4 weeks of taking it, but we still recommend taking Ferosom Forte daily for 3 to 6 months to see a significant improvement in iron levels.
What are tips for staying consistent with your iron supplement?
Sure, consistency is key. But learning how to be consistent is a skill in and of itself. Here are our top tips for remembering to take your iron supplement at the same time every day.
- Set a reminder. Whether it’s a phone alarm, a note to yourself, or a calendar notification.
- Piggyback off a daily activity. Take your supplement at the same time as you brush your teeth or make your coffee (with Ferosom Forte, absorption is not affected by foods/drinks that contain caffeine or calcium, making it even easier to take your iron)—something you do every day, no matter what.
- Keep them in plain sight. Store your supplements where you can see them so they’re top-of-mind.
- Maintain a healthy diet. Food and supplements work in tandem to supply your body with the nutrients it needs. In fact, a balanced diet boosts supplement absorption.
- Take them with you. Keep supplements in a supplement organizer so they’re always with you if you need them.
- Find an accountability partner. Join forces with someone and remind each other to take your supplements every day.
What are the benefits of iron supplementation?
It’s difficult to get enough iron from your diet alone. For women especially, monthly blood loss during menstruation can make iron levels a constant battle. High-quality iron supplements can make up for the lost iron or lack of dietary iron in one simple, daily dose.
And once it kicks in, you’ll experience so many amazing benefits of supplemental iron:
- Improves immune function
- Produces more hemoglobin, which is responsible for carrying oxygen throughout the body
- Enhances athletic performance
- Reduces bruising
- Boosts energy levels and decreases fatigue
- Restores brain function, including focus and memory
- Contributes to healthy pregnancies and newborns
- Detoxes the body
- Enhances the look of skin and hair
- Slows signs of aging
What is the best iron supplement?
Ferosom Forte has the highest absorption rate on the market with the fewest side effects. Unlike other iron supplements that cause painful and frustrating gastrointestinal side effects, Ferosom Forte has a patented LCE coating to protect it from acid breakdown in the stomach and intestines.
It’s also microencapsulated in Liposomal form—an advanced nutrient delivery system that increases absorption and bioavailability. The absorption rates of Liposomal iron are similar to certain doses of IV iron. You can learn all about Liposomal iron right here.
Talk to your doctor about your unique iron needs.
Everyone’s iron needs are different. Before taking any supplements, consult a doctor to get a custom dosage tailored to your body. Together, you can find the right iron supplement and pair it with beneficial lifestyle changes to make a difference in your iron levels and overall health.